Electric bicycles are now booming and will only become more popular. They are very suitable for commuting. Batteries are an important and expensive part of electric bicycles. It is necessary to understand batteries.
The battery on the new electric bicycle can be used for 3-5 years. The service life of an electric bicycle battery is determined by three main factors:
1. Type and brand of battery used
2. How many times has the battery been charged during its lifetime
3. Battery age
Type of battery used
Lithium battery: tends to be popular, can maintain up to 1000 charging cycles,
Nickel battery: estimated to be about 500 cycles
Lead battery (on the first-generation electric bicycle): estimated to be about 300 cycles
esoulbike uses lithium batteries. In the early test phase, the cycle number of esoulbike batteries is about 1000 times, which can ensure the battery to be used for a longer time to a large extent.
Should you often charge the battery of an electric bike?
You should usually charge your electric bike when its battery reaches 30-60%.
Some people mistakenly believe that infrequent use of batteries can extend battery life. In fact, not using batteries can do more harm than good.
The batteries of electric bicycles and other battery-powered devices discharge even when not in use. This phenomenon is commonly referred to as self-discharge. Excessive self-discharge can also cause irreparable damage to the battery of the electric bicycle, so you should make sure to use it actively.
What happens if the battery reaches the maximum number of charge cycles?
The maximum number of charge cycles specified by the manufacturer actually corresponds to the number of charge cycles that the battery can theoretically withstand without losing too much efficiency.
At the end of the specified number of cycles, its performance will be reduced, and the time to keep charging is shorter. According to your usage, you can judge whether it needs to be replaced or whether it can be passed.
When should I replace the battery of the electric bike?
If your battery has been used for two years or more and you start to notice performance degradation, your battery life will slowly come to an end. Insufficient power or even voltage fluctuations indicate the need to replace the battery of the electric bicycle.
Another sign that the battery is depleted is that it needs to be recharged more frequently. If you find that your battery is being charged more frequently than in the past, it has begun to age and should be replaced.
How to extend the battery life of an electric bike
Like any other electronic device, the durability of a battery is directly related to how much you care about it. For example, external factors such as temperature and humidity can affect the life of the battery, so you need to make sure not to leave your electric bicycle outdoors for a long time (especially when you live in a place like Phoenix, Arizona).
Here are some tips to improve the battery life of an electric bike:
1. Use the charger that comes with the battery as it is optimized for charging.
If your battery looks overheated, don't start charging. Instead, let it cool first.
2. Do not lower the battery power to 0%. Instead, recharge it when it is half used.
3. If you plan not to use the electric bicycle for a long time, be sure to remove the battery. Also turn on the battery occasionally to avoid excessive self-discharge.
4. Unplug the 100% power source to avoid overcharging the battery of the electric bike. If you charge the battery at night, make sure that the first thing you do when you wake up is to unplug the power source.
5. Store the battery in a cool and dry place. This can be done by parking your electric bike in a cool place or a place without direct sunlight.
6. When cleaning the battery of an electric bicycle, please use a dry towel-don't get it wet. Water will cause further corrosion of the battery, so do not inadvertently shorten its life while maintaining the battery.
In the esoulbike package, we will attach a battery safety manual. We also hope that while protecting the battery and delaying the battery life, you can also use the battery correctly to protect yourself